Friday, February 13, 2009

Linda Manzer

You may have noticed that each time I mention Pat Metheny's name (which is quite often) I also bring to attention the luthier, Linda Manzer. It would be very difficult not to do so, considering that she has built over 20 guitars for the man and his collection is ever growing. Linda Manzer is a Canadian guitar maker, and in my opinion, the best in the world. She was apprenticed by luthier pioneer, Jean-Claude Larrivee, in Canada, and worked with him from 1974 to 1978. She also spent some time with Jimmy D'Aquisto in New York. Linda started building full time at 22, and had made a couple instruments in high school, although she did tell me a while ago that she had "wrecked a guitar trying to turn it into John Lennon's Rickenbacker" while in the sixth grade. She now has over 30 years of experience in the art. Linda has recieved high praise from many distinguished guitarists, including Bruce Cockburn and Carlos Santana. After obtaining one of Linda's instruments, Cockburn stated, "I got rid of all my other guitars. I didn't need them anymore." Linda offers a wide selection of guitars and is willing to take on custom jobs. Check out her website by clicking on the "Manzer Guitars" link.

This is one of her custom inlay designs named The Sabotuer.

No comments:

Post a Comment